- Despite nearly constant news coverage since the war there began in 2003, 63 percent of Americans aged 18 to 24 failed to correctly locate the country (Iraq) on a map of the Middle East.
- Seventy percent could not find Iran or Israel.
- Nine in ten couldn’t find Afghanistan on a map of Asia.
- And 54 percent were unaware that Sudan is a country in Africa.
- Three-quarters of respondents failed to find that country on a map.
- And three-quarters were unaware that a majority of Indonesia’s population is Muslim, making it the largest Muslim country in the world.