1) Brand-new cell phone;
2) Poster of Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah;
3) Collection of poems by Billy Collins.
I will let readers divine that mystery …
1) Is Marrakesh Orientalism’s EuroDisney?
2) How can Casablanca be Africa’s largest port?
3) Is a prostitute always a prostitute or only while she is “working”?
4) Why do some strangers think a sober-minded individual like me smokes dope?
5) Why do all Arabs approach the Lebanese with a curious affection that is simultaeneously condescending and envious?
6) Can you really get a service from Fes to Dora by twirling your finger in a circle?
7) Why is the airport still my favorite place for Lebanese-watching?
8) Why do posters of Franjieh and Arslan evaporate my sympathies for the Lebanese opposition?
9) Why don’t oil-rich construction magnates from the Gulf understand that Lebanon is a small place for small things?
10) Do I always leave things behind in Beirut so that I always have to go back?
Actually, I know the answer to that last one …